Summer Research Internship
HomeLINK is a successful Bristol-based Internet of Things (IoT) start-up, now in the process of rapidly expanding having joined the Ei Group of companies in 2020. HomeLINK’s success to date has been founded upon the combination of cutting-edge IoT technology with innovative data science, supported by a socially responsible and ethical business model.
We are currently searching for interns to undertake a research project, supervised by the data science team, for 2 or 3 months over the summer. Ideally, these will be either recent graduates or undergraduates about to enter their final year of study. The successful candidate(s) will have an interest in both data science/machine learning and IoT technology, and a strong statistical/mathematical ability.
We are open to an intern pursuing a wide range of projects using our environmental data. Alternatively, if you would like to pursue a slightly more abstract or theoretical project, we would be perfectly happy to discuss the details of this with you.
To give an idea of what you might work on, some projects pursued by our team in the past, some of which are still active areas of interest, include, but are not limited to:
- The use of Convolutional Neural Networks for non-intrusive load monitoring.
- Predicting residential fire risk using Machine Learning.
- Calculating the level of ventilation in a property using CO2 data.
- Estimating the thermal efficiency of a house or flat using temperature data.
We have no hard requirements for this internship, beyond an enthusiasm for new and exciting technologies. Below is a list of things which would be great if you did have, but meeting even a few of these is more than enough:
- A strong mathematical/statistical background (any prior knowledge of machine learning is a plus!)
- An interest in working with social housing data
- Some knowledge of Python, or another statistical programming language (e.g. Matlab, R) – no need to be an expert, there will be time to learn during the project.
- A desire to learn about how the Internet of Things can help improve the standard of living for people in social housing.
- An interest in gaining experience at a tech start-up.
- A can do attitude, works well in a team and independently.
Want to make a difference and be part of an exciting business that is well-backed?
Send in your CV and cover letter now to email@example.com or click the “apply now” button below.